Today is August 31st 2015. I am back from the majestic Himalayas after my yearly break. I am getting desperate. I am looking for that SMS which I generally get before the last working day of every month which generally reads out like ‘ You have received a salary credit of Rs X,XX,XXX’ in your account by means of NEFT …. which gives me the smile in my face and the necessary energy to carry on for the next month despite the fact the post dated EMI cheques empty that credit faster than I can withdraw! I am getting increasingly nervous. I log in to my bank account and check. No, it is not there. I hit the refresh button around five times. Still no luck. Should I call someone and ask why salary has not been credited ? I took a deep breath. It slowly dawned on me and something hit me on my face, like a car driving fast through the rains and hitting the slush on you unwittingly. I had quit. July 30 2015 was my last working day after working for 21.2 years. Some would call it a half marathon. To be fair to everyone, I had four farewell parties from colleagues who had become best friends over these 21 years. These four farewell parties were just to ensure that I do not change my mind at any cost and stay out!
How did the month go then discounting the Himalayan trip ? I shall write about the trip later.
- No Mails.
- No Phone Calls. Actually phone bills for the month of August reduced by 1/3rd .
- No one could shout at me. I could shout at no one.
- No management gyan
- No arm chair philosophy
- No meetings
- No conference calls
- No reviews
- No ..
Time definitely ran slowly for me. There seem to be more in that sixty seconds of a minute
I would have had some kind of nervous breakdown but me being me, I decided to just freak out.
- I watched more movies than I possibly watched in a year.
- I slept more, particularly in the afternoon. The extended afternoon siesta was pure bliss.
- I had ‘Made to order’ food at home which irritated my mother as she had to take the menu from me, but I did not particularly care.
- I made those occasional milk shakes for the kids returning from school.
- I spent time with some friends without having to look at the phone or excusing myself for taking a call.
- Acted as a gateway to connect certain people to certain other people.
- Acted as a sounding board for people who wanted to do something out on their own. It is a cruel irony for those people, as they are taking suggestion from someone who has nothing to do.
- Found the below place, right in my backyard, which gives me an extra dose of oxygen during my early morning walks. This has been around and I have not discovered it all in the past eleven years.
- Completed some good books and have aligned a row of good books to be completed
- Am I enjoying it ?
- Is my family enjoying my presence ?
- Judgment reserved. I cannot say.
- Will this last ?
- Definitely no.
- What did I miss ?
- The wonderful smiles, the energy levels of a great workplace, the terrific hallway conversations and debates with everyone whom I managed to rub shoulders with, the closed door sessions, the occasional grapevine talk and of course the timed lunch at 1:30 PM . I do miss the people, a great set of people.
It does leave me with a curious question. How long this phase will last ? Frankly speaking, I am going to take verbatim, the advice given in KungFu Panda
Yesterday is history and Tomorrow is mystery. Today is a gift and that is why it is called as a present. I am going to enjoy the present! My mentor of many years said ‘Carpe Diem’ and here I to go to seize the next siesta!
Stay Tuned and Have Fun.
Share if you enjoyed.